Main Types of Accommodation

Standard accommodation for international students falls into one of five typical options. Student Residence – Dormitories & Townhouses Some schools provide student residence on-campus or nearby the campus. Dormitories are usually larger buildings housing many students, while townhouses are detached, housing usually three to six students. Dormitories have common areas for entertainment, cooking, and exercise, as well as shared bathrooms and shower facilities. These dormitories sleep one or more person per room, and are managed directly by the school. Dormitories are often a suggested housing choice for first-year college and university students. Townhouses usually contain three to six bedrooms with single occupancy rooms (no roommates) and a main floor containing kitchen and living room area. This style of accommodation is usually reserved for second – fourth-year university students and graduate students.

Host Family/Homestay

In both cases, these styles of accommodation may include a nearby cafeteria or food court where you can eat daily, or are situated in close proximity to eating establishments on or off-campus. Both options might include utilities such as heat, hot water, and internet, or offer them at a reduced fee. Off-Campus Shared Apartment or Condominium Off-campus shared apartments provide students with a single room, in a living space with one or more other roommates. Like townhomes (above) they most often contain a single occupancy bedroom or living space and have a shared kitchen, bathroom, dining, and living room area. Important: not all schools in Canada can assist in finding you off-campus housing. In these cases, schools may refer you to one or more agencies or expect you to do your own research and connect with the services in the surrounding community. Rental costs for off-campus housing vary dramatically, especially in the larger cities of Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.